These tools can be used to guide decision making for service delivery to students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing.
Educational Impact Matrix
This tool helps determine appropriate service delivery times.
- Educational Impact Matrix: Student Profile and Factors for Consideration [PDF]
- Educational Impact Matrix (Electronic Fillable Version) [PDF]
Secondary Transition Guide
This tool helps collect important data for determining a student's transition needs.
Early Childhood Planning Guide
This tool helps determine if a young child is reaching appropriate benchmarks.
Service Coordination Practice Guide for Children aged 0 to 3
This document from the Michigan Department of Community Health provides balanced but condensed information to assist a service coordinator in helping a family whose child with hearing loss is enrolled in Early On®.
Expanded Core Curriculum
Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing (DHH) benefit from learning skills specific to their needs outside of the core curriculum. The state of Iowa developed documents to support an expanded core curriculum for students who are DHH.
DHH Expanded Core Curriculum [PDF]
This document provides a guide for what areas and skills should be included in the DHH expanded core curriculum.
DHH Expanded Core Curriculum Assessments [PDF]
This document provides a list of potential assessments for the different areas of the DHH expanded core curriculum.
DHH Expanded Core Curriculum Assessments Matrix [PDF]
This matrix can be used to track the assessments a student has taken.
Deciding whether or not a student who is Hard of Hearing needs an interpreter for educational services is not always obvious. The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction developed this document to assist individualized education program (IEP) teams in their discussion related to communication access for students who are Hard of Hearing.
Several states have developed tools to guide the review of a student's communication strengths and needs. These documents can be used to help determine what type of communication or language provides the fullest access to educational programs and services.
- Connecticut Language and Communication Plan [PDF]
- Colorado Communication Plan [PDF]
- Iowa Communication Plan [PDF]
- New Mexico Consideration of Special Factors [PDF]
- North Carolina Communication Plan [WORD]
- Pennsylvania Communication Plan [PDF]
- Virginia Communication Plan [WORD]
- West Virginia Consideration of Special Factors [WORD]
- Wisconsin Consideration of Special Factors [WORD]